POT ROAST

POT ROAST



Being here in Texas has been a huge adjustment. Back home in Arizona we would take turns going to my parents and to the hubby’s parents EVERY Sunday. And I’m not exaggerating when I say that I can’t remember a Sunday where we stayed at home. Having said that, I haven’t really ever had to cook a Sunday dinner all by myself. You’d think it wouldn’t be tough, but growing up, Sunday dinner was always THE nice meal of the week (main course, sides, salads, rolls, dessert – you name it). I wasn’t sure how things would go down here for Sunday dinner, but I’ve been up for the challenge. Every other Sunday the hubby will make Swedish Pancakes (a family favorite), and on the off Sundays I make Pot Roast. Both are great, easy and delicious recipes.
I’m happy to report that I’ve finally mastered the Pot Roast recipe and want to share it with you today! It takes just a few minutes to prepare and always turns out so tender and flavorful. Like I said – it’s easy and is so good, and the meat can be eaten for Roast or can be made and used for so many other recipes. We always end up with leftovers, so we make Green Chile Burros the next night for dinner.

How to Cook a Pot Roast in a Crock Pot:

I always buy my Chuck Roast at Sam’s Club. It comes in a pack of 2 and the net weight is about 5-6 pounds, so each roast is 2.5 to 3 pounds, usually. For a big get together you may need to cook both in the crock pot. For my family of 7, we can get by using 1 chuck roast. If I’m not using the other roast, I freeze it to use later that month. Here are the instructions for one 2-3 pound roast!
  1. Place chuck roast in your crockpot or slow cooker. Pour 1/3 cup of water over the roast.
  2. Mix together all 3 dry mixes, and sprinkle on top of the roast.
  3. Cook on LOW for 7-8 hours or HIGH for 4 hours, or until tender. I personally prefer cooking on LOW – the meat seems to be more tender that way. ðŸ™‚
*NOTE: I usually make the mix that gets sprinkled on top in bulk. I will mix 4 TB (or 1 packet) of each together and then place it in a baggie and just use as much as I need when I make this pot roast. That way, if I’m using the small packets, I don’t waste the 3 TB that doesn’t get used.

Gravy for Beef Chuck Roast

If you want to make gravy to pour on top, it’s super simple. All you need is the following ingredients:
  • roast drippings
  • milk
  • flour
Take about 1/3 – 1/2 cup of the drippings from the roast in the crock pot and add that to a small pot on the stove. Heat it up a bit, then add a TB of flour and a TB of milk. Keep adding a little milk and a little flour until it’s the consistency you like. Top off with a little salt and pepper!

Pot Roast Recipe

This Crock Pot Roast Recipe is one of our favorite Sunday dinners. It takes only 3 minutes of prep time and then the slow cooker does the rest! The chuck roast ends up being SO tender and full of flavor from the brown gravy, Italian, and ranch dressing mix! 
Course Main Course
Cuisine American
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 7 hours
Total Time 7 hours 5 minutes
Servings 6
Calories 417 kcal
Author Kristyn Merkley

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 beef chuck roast about 2-3 lbs
  • 1/3 c water
  • 1 TB brown gravy dry mix
  • 1 TB Hidden Valley dry mix
  • TB Italian dressing dry mix

Optional Gravy

  • 1/3 - 1/2 c drippings from roast
  • 1 - 2 TB milk
  • 1 - 2 TB flour
  • salt and pepper

INSTRUCTIONS

  1. Mix Brown Gravy Dry Mix, Hidden Valley Dry Mix and Italian Dressing Dry Mix together.
  2. Place chuck roast in your crock pot. Pour ⅓ cup water over your roast.
  3. Sprinkle Mix all over the top of your roast. Cook on LOW for 7-8 hours or HIGH for 4 hours or until tender. (I prefer cooking it on LOW - meat seems to be more tender).

Optional Gravy

  1.  Take about 1/3 – 1/2 cup of the drippings from the roast in the crock pot and add that to a small pot on the stove. Heat that up a bit.
  2. Then add a TB of flour and a TB of milk. Keep adding a little milk and a little flour until it’s the consistency you like. Top off with salt and pepper.

RECIPE NOTES

  • I always buy my Chuck Roast at Sam's Club. It comes in a pack of 2 and the net weight is about 5-6 pounds, so each roast is 2.5 to 3 pounds, usually. For a big get together you may need to cook both in the crock pot. For my family of 7, we can get by using 1 chuck roast. If I'm not using the other roast, I freeze it to use later that month.
  • I usually make the mix that gets sprinkled on top in bulk. I will mix 4 TB (or 1 packet) of each together and then place it in a baggie and just use as much as I need when I make this pot roast. That way, if I'm using the small packets, I don't waste the 3 TB that doesn't get used.
POT ROAST POT ROAST Reviewed by master fooddy on July 13, 2018 Rating: 5

No comments:

'; (function() { var dsq = document.createElement('script'); dsq.type = 'text/javascript'; dsq.async = true; dsq.src = '//' + disqus_shortname + '.disqus.com/embed.js'; (document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0] || document.getElementsByTagName('body')[0]).appendChild(dsq); })();
Powered by Blogger.